Old May 6th 08, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Pay parity for bus drivers? was If Boris does win as now expected

In message
, at
02:07:06 on Tue, 6 May 2008, Boltar remarked:
Why can't all drivers be on the same pay scale?

You'd just have different *grades* of driver, including the most junior
which was "have licence to drive bus, but not trains".

I suspect the only thing bus driving and train driving have in common
is that the vehicles both have wheels and they jobs are both called
"driving". I don't really think you can compare the two anymore than
you could compare flying a 747 with flying a kite even though both are
called flying (ok ,the disparity is obviously far greater there but
you get the point). Much as I think a lot of the tube drivers are a
bunch of agitators desperate to get their fingers in the till I
suspect there job has a lot more responsibility than a bus driver even
if driving a bus itself in london traffic is probably a bit harder
than driving a tube train.

Of course the skills are different, which is why most of the drivers
will only be qualified to be on one grade or the other. However this
achieves the objective of having all of them on one "scale".

Eg;

Scale A: Drivers

Grade i) PSV licence £10k-£15k according to experience
Grade ii) Train driving licence £18k-£25k

Scale B: Administrators

Grade i) Barrier staff £8k-£12k
Grade ii) Ticket office staff £10k-£15k
Grade iii) Ops control staff £13k-£20k