Old May 6th 08, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Plug-ish, Boris and TfL

Paul Scott wrote:
"Tom Barry" wrote in message
John B wrote:
Partly inspired by people's thoughts here, I've written a blog-post
on Boris and Peter Hendy/Tim O'Toole:
http://www.johnband.org/blog/2008/05...s-boriss-tent/

Exciting update information for utl readers: yesterday I played
crazy golf with the Times's Westminister correspondent and a
corporate finance bloke from TfL; they both reckon there's no
chance in hell that Boris is going to sack O'Toole, and that it's
unlikely he'll sack Hendy...

I don't reckon he would either, although to take the sensible option
goes against both what his campaign said (they accused Hendy of
being a Ken crony) and the views of a lot of rabid suburban Tories,
as you point out. Any idea whom he might get to chair TfL? The previous
Chair might
not be to everyone's liking these days...

Am I missing something here. The previous chairman just got voted
out. Isn't Boris the ex officio new chair?

I think the mayor has the power to appoint a Chair, which is slightly
different. Currently the TfL website doesn't include a Chair in its list of
board members. Dave Wetzel is Deputy Chair, though I can't see him
remaining there for long.

The body that Boris said he would chair is the Metropolitan Police Authority
(MPA). However the MPA website says that the Chair is chosen by the members
themselves, all of whom are eligible. Currently it's Len Duvall, who is, I
think, Labour leader in the Assembly. Of the 23 members, 12 are Assembly
Members, chosen by the Mayor. Presumably he can choose himself as one of the
12, but it's presumptious of him to declare that he will be Chair.
--
Richard J.