Old May 6th 08, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

On 6 May, 11:12, John B wrote:
On 6 May, 10:10, Boltar wrote:

I had to use a bus on the w/e and found that my pre pay had run out.
It cost me 2 quid to go 1 mile because I had to pay by cash. Is that
fair? I don't think so. Same story on the tube.

I think one of the first things boris should at is ditch Kens
idiotic , deliberate and spiteful disparity between the Oyster and
cash fares to deliberately force occasional commuters to use Oyster to
no benefit to themselves but every benefit to TfL.

You realise that if it benefits TfL, that means it benefits
ratepayers, right? Cash handling is expensive and it is right that
this should be reflected by putting prices at a deterrent level,
thereby saving us all money and allowing more spending on improving
the service...

[as well as the auto-top-up point someone else mentioned, aren't there
any newsagents near your house?]

It is a bit like sticking your credit card behind the bar though. It
makes people not notice what they are spending, with the likely result
that they spend more.

And you can only do it by registering to be electronically tagged.