Old May 8th 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

On May 8, 12:20 pm, MIG wrote:
There seems to be a standard pattern to these exchanges.

Person A points out that certain people (eg those living in South
London or occasional visitors) are disadvantaged by rules which need
not be as they are and suggests a simple change to the rules.

Person B pointlessly (I mean helpfully) explains how you can do some
laborious things to avoid the situation.

Person A says yes I know all that, but there are situations where a
person can still legitimately be in a position where they are
disadvantaged (eg machine not working, shop in wrong direction, bank
holiday etc etc), and that rather than them have to get round it, they
are still suggesting that the rule could be changed.

Person C chimes in with something really ludicrous like suggesting
that you are an idiot for not logging into the Web from a bus queue or
planning every journey days in advance.

Person A says for Godsake, I am just pointing out that the unfairness
is unnecessary and could be solved (repeating whatever the suggestion
was, eg normal priced extensions for paper travelcards).

Person B comes back and says "you are making a mountain out of a
molehill".

The thing about all this is not the scale of the molehill, just that
when there is a molehill, however small, for which there is a
solution, it is sheer bloody-mindedness that makes TfL and its
defenders refuse to contemplate addressing it.

Quite!

B2003