Old May 8th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default What line was this...

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li
On Thu, 8 May 2008, Paul Scott wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
"Boltar" wrote in message

On May 8, 9:45 am, chunky munky
wrote:
Sounds like the spur to the Guinness brewery

Has it closed or does it all go by road now?

I think the rail connection was disused well before the brewery
closed. The brewery was soon demolished and the area is now turning
into an office park, with an increasing need for public transport
(given that the North Circular and A40 are very slow moving in the
mornings).

Isn't there a plan for another new underground station associated
with the development?

Yes, on the Central line. I was under the impression that this was
going to be a new set of platforms for Park Royal station (on the
Piccadilly), but it seems it's far enough away that it'll be a
separate station.
That the distance between them is so large, attentive utl readers will
recall, is because the Central line here goes up a slope, and
platforms on slopes are no longer allowed.

Actually, I think the "problem" is that the Picc is on a slight
(imperceptible) slope. To move the platforms north wouldn't change the
slope, but it wouldn't be allowed to build new platforms on a slope,
even though it would be no worse than the current platforms. So no-one
would be hurt by such a reconstruction, and anyone changing between the
Picc and Central lines would be helped, but it still wouldn't be
allowed.