Old May 9th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
John B John B is offline

Default Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

On 9 May, 13:42, "Peter Masson" wrote:
Whoever operates the trollies on "Southern" services did have alcahol
available a few months back on the Brighton line. I wouldn't normally
take a lot of notice, however a business type indulged in a couple of
shorts en route to Brighton on the 09.06 from Victoria and recieved
some unaproving glances.

It looks as though the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, is jumping on the Boris
Johnson bandwagon, and is threatening to ban alocohol from all trains
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3897384.ece

To be fair to Jacqui Smith (and other sentences you'll seldom see
used), she actually said:

"I also understand people's concerns about anti-social behaviour on
public transport. Working with passengers, transport staff and
operators, Ruth Kelly and I will take action to answer these concerns.

"We want to stamp out ASB on our buses, trains and trams. If more
powers are needed to protect staff and the travelling public, we will
provide them."

I don't see that as a call for a ban on alcohol on all trains,
although there may be something I've missed.

[I'm deeply unimpressed that the authoritarian press are taking
Boris's election as a vindication that The Public want to see booze
banned everywhere, rather than proof that Labour have become so
unpopular that even the Ken bounce couldn't hold them the Mayoralty no
matter what kind of buffoon the Tories put forward nor how daft his
policies...]

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org