Old November 21st 03, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink ticket checks - or lack of!

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article , Jon McD
writes
Once saw a well dressed woman who was seemingly
in such a deep sleep that loud requests for her ticket couldn't wake
her. Once the inspectors had gone she woke up soon enough at her stop.

You're implying that she was faking it.

Not without some validity IME. A young man in one of those parkas with a
hood that almost completely covers the face was apparently so asleep on
the 10:15 from Cambridge the other morning that the inspector arranged to
stop it at Stevenage and call an ambulance. The ambulance crew managed to
wake him, after which it became apparent that he had no ticket and claimed
to have no money.

I've seen that before, ticketless travellers who claim to have no money.
One certainly had plenty. He showed off his wad of notes before the
inspectors came into sight.

I will note that I've often fallen asleep on my commutes, including
trains with intermediate stops, yet always seem to wake about 30
seconds before my station. The subconscious seems to have better route
knowledge than the conscious brain!

Could be. I set the alarm on my pager just to be sure!

--
Colin Rosenstiel