Old November 22nd 03, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Christian Hansen Christian Hansen is offline

Default Security of Oyster Cards

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:49:38 +0000, Peter Fairbrother
wrote:

Oyster cards have a few unexpected security risks - people tend to keep them
in their wallets, and take their wallets out of their pockets to wave over
the reader. Gives pickpockets a chance to eye up the wallet, and learn where
its owner keeps it, and it gives thugs the chance/ inspiration to grab the
wallet and run.

Well, I keep mine in the cardholder that came with it. It's exactly the same
as the Travelcard holder except for different colours and the Oyster logos. My
wallet stays in my trousers, where it belongs.

The privacy implications aren't good either. All card usage is tracked
offline, to prevent use by multiple people, and usage records stored for
that purpose. The Police etc can ask for them (and may soon become able to
demand them, but that's another story) and use them to track your movements.

This may be a difficulty. With Blunkett wanting to keep an eye on us 24 hours
a day, we may have to call the Government on this one.

The card itself keeps a record of the last three trips, I'm told.

I wonder if, under freedom of information rules, we might be able to demand a
record of what information TfL has on where we've been.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com