Old May 12th 08, 03:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen O'Connell[_3_] Stephen O'Connell[_3_] is offline

Default Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

Arthur Figgis wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Paul
Corfield writes
I can't think of a city anywhere that
makes it easy for people with loads of fresh, high denomination
currency to use standard public transport services.

Tokyo: at a metro station somewhere in the centre, the machine
happily accepted my approx-50-pound banknote and issued ticket and
(approx 49 pounds 50) change.

Is it true that the Japanese don't really go in for payment by card,
and happily carry around large amounts of cash instead?

Strange if true, as I thought most of that technology stuff originated in
Japan. So I thought using cards instead of cash would be right up their
street.