Old May 15th 08, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
MIG MIG is offline

Default Moir Lockhead, Routemasters and the bendy bus

On 15 May, 11:47, Neil Williams wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:
In what sense does this differ from Underground trains with transverse
seating, the Overground 378s (ditto) and modern light rail vehicles like
Tramlink's (quoted capacity 208, which certainly isn't all seated)?
It's something of a mistake to see bendy buses as merely a bigger bus,
they're more akin to large-scale people movers where some standing at
peak times is designed in, in return for speed of pickup/setdown.

They're a European design for European style operations, i.e. that the
sole purpose of buses is to move a large number of people from
somewhere away from a rapid transit rail system to a station on said
rail system as quickly as possible. *They're less suited to long UK-
style "sit-down" suburb to city journeys, but are pretty much
perfectly suited to central London operations like the Red Arrows.

The operations but not the windy, narrow roads. When I cycle I often
find myself at places like St Pauls trying to get past overlapping
521s which are managing to block both lanes of the road while
diagonally enclosing areas of empty space that nothing can drive into,
but leaving too few inches of space at at least one point for a even a
bike to squeeze past.