Old May 16th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mwmbwls Mwmbwls is offline

Default Post electoral blues - Bexley wants promises cashed

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/to...rt_a_boost.php
quote
Can Boris give plans for transport a boost?
By Linda Piper
THERE are high hopes the election of a supporter of Bexley Council's
Jump on Board campaign to London's top job will boost the chances of
its success.
The campaign was launched in February to try to improve public
transport in the borough.
Its main aims are to extend the Greenwich Waterfront Transit (GWT)
across Bexley to link up with north Kent's Fastrack system, extend the
Docklands Light Railway (DLR) into Thamesmead and extend Crossrail to
Ebbsfleet.
Bexley also wants to see the introduction of 12-carriage trains on the
rail network and the expansion of the Oyster card to make it
acceptable for travel on all trains in the capital.
The council claims Bexley has been excluded from many of the public
transport improvements which are being introduced in other surrounding
boroughs, such as the GWT and Fastrack, which end at the borough
boundaries.
But Bexley councillor Peter Craske, cabinet member for transport, says
he is optimistic the situation will change now Tory Mayor of London
Boris Johnson is in place.
He was the only one of the three major mayoral candidates to pledge
support for the campaign.
Councillor Craske said: "We want to have a meeting with the Mayor and
Transport for London as soon as possible, to see how we can work
together to deliver what Bexley wants to see.
"We are expecting lots of changes to the way things are done."
Cllr Craske added: "I think we have got a strong case."
The most obvious first target is the extension of the GWT into Bexley,
where part of the potential Bexley route has already been safeguarded.
Cllr Craske said: "The building blocks for extending the GWT are
already there.
"It is definitely something we can now work on and try to deliver."
He added: "And there is no reason why the DLR should stop at Woolwich
or why it cannot be extended to Thamesmead and north Bexley."
The Crossrail scheme is more problematic and longer term, but Bexley
made its case to the House of Lords two weeks ago.
Cllr Craske said: "Together with the new mayor and the former one, we
want to get people out of their cars and onto public transport, but we
have to have the alternatives in place to do that.
"We do not want to just moan about it.
"There are things we can do and I think the doors are opening."
unquote

As the infalliable "Great Helmsman" has just given away £2.7 billion
in an unfunded pre electoral inducement - I believe, if you listen
carefully, we will hear the brakes going on public spending very
shortly. With a packed investment agenda already filled by Crossrail
and the Olympics, Bexley's hopes of Boris and Boris's hopes of further
central funding, however sensible they might be, may be in vain.