Old May 16th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:10:55 +0100, Peter Beale
wrote:
We had a short visit to Paris in January and got the 3-day Zones 1-3
Paris Visite ticket for €19 and used it extensively on Metro, buses,
Montmartre funicular. We managed to use 4 of the discounted offers - Arc
de Triomphe, Opéra Nationale, Bâteaux Parisiens, Grand'Arche de la
Défense - and certainly didn't regard them as "dubious" attractions, and
all in all thought it quite good value.

Yes, all good stuff, although I don't think I've ever used these
reductions.

On previous visits I have used
the "Carte Orange", notably while camping out at Maisons-Laffite, but I
think it is not available for less than a week - and now comes in the
form of "Navigo" (French for Oyster!) and costing more for those not
resident in Ile-de-France.

Yes, it's a week or a month (or a year for the differently-branded
"Intégrale"). Unfortunately it's still a fixed week (Mon-Sun) or
month. Even with the Carte Orange now officially available for
aliens, this "feature" prevents its use for long weekends, etc. I
don't believe it costs more for non-residents, however, except that
the card costs 5 euros and isn't replaced if lost...

Richard.