Old May 19th 08, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Distribution of bus types in use

On Mon, 19 May 2008 00:22:29 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

The most surprising (to me) aspect is how busy
Sunday services are - I've been out most Sundays recently and many buses
are full or near to full which is a big turn round from about 10 years
ago when demand was much lower.

Sometimes too full - how often are Sunday services reviewed and potentially
expanded?

The standard TfL answer is that routes are reviewed every 5 years about
18 months before they are retendered or considered for contract
extension (if performance has been good). This is certainly the answer
I have had from TfL when corresponding with them about my local
services.

When routes are retendered then some will get improved frequencies while
a 2 year "good performance" extension also triggers frequency
improvements and these are typically Evenings and Sundays.

Service enhancements can occur independently of that cycle and I would
guess that it is the result of surveys, operator or passenger feedback
or review of performance information. If routes are chronically
overloaded then their performance would fall. Oyster and ticket machine
data is another source of info too.

One particular problem I've seen is the over reliance on existing bus routes
to double as rail replacement services. The Central Line betwen Mile End and
Stratford is the most obvious case in my normal routine and often I've found
the 25 ridiculously crowded (even by its standards) and insufficiently
frequent when there's no tube between those points.

I agree that the current extent of weekend engineering works is leading
to diversion to bus services. The current Victoria Line closures at
weekends either stop me using the tube altogether or else I transfer to
the bus. I'm not a great enthusiast for the limited rail replacement
services that operate. You cite the 25 as an example but the 25 has
been awful for years no matter what day of the week. I remain amazed
that it is as busy as it is given that it is duplicated over its length
by other rail and bus routes. The Sunday 25 has recently been increased
in frequency in an attempt to cope - it had a temporary enhancement
between Aldgate and Stratford for a few months. Whether TfL will agree
to increase the main service on M-S using spare former route 453 buses
will be interesting - will Boris allow it!?

--
Paul C