Old May 19th 08, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Distribution of bus types in use

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:31 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Only a few bendy routes are those previously run by RMs and thus we
get to an interesting issue about whether the new RM, if it is ever
built, would replace standard double decks on routes like the 13,
14, 19, 22, 390. Would they be deployed on routes like the 253 or
254 which are very, very busy and were run with RMs years before
but which could justifiably be a stronger candidate for conversion
back to crew than some other routes? Would the new RM be put onto
routes like the 18 or 29 which are bendy now but were OPO double
deck for years before conversion but which were frankly spending
more time standing still at stops than going anywhere.

A lot of the later bendy-bus routes were Routemaster replacements,
e.g. 12, 38, 73.

Err they were the *only* ones Colin. You can argue over whether the 436
replaced RMs or not on route 36. Every other bendy conversion replaced
OPO vehicles. People need to be careful about swallowing the "bendy
buses ate my Routemaster" press mythology.

I suppose it rather depends on when you count the days of RM operation of
the routes or their predecessors. They weren't always OPO double deckers.

--
Colin Rosenstiel