Old May 20th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Bus hits tree

Ernst S Blofeld wrote:
Adrian wrote:
The pic shows that the roof pillars have bent, and the main roof
itself is damaged. The bars are just to push smaller branches out
the way - they won't protect against a trunk or solid branch strike.
The driver's meant to do that bit.

There's a better(*) pic here;

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

The collision with the bus seems to have cut off one of the branches, which
raises the question of why that branch hadn't been removed already by the
highway authority, which is TfL Streets for Tower Bridge Road I think.

The practice of putting up a few little non-standard signs warning of trees
whose upper trunks or major branches encroach over the kerb line on bus
routes has always seemed to me to be inadequate and too casual. If it's a
branch, then cut it off. If the trunk itself is a danger, then either
narrow the carriageway or remove the tree. If the tree-huggers don't like
that, they can plant another tree, further from the kerb. Street trees look
nice and generally should be preserved, but not at the cost of bus
passegers' and pedestrians' lives.

--
Richard J.