Old May 20th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Bus hits tree

In message , at 18:29:23 on
Tue, 20 May 2008, Zen83237 remarked:
As it hit a tree (when buses normally pass by unaffected), and killed a
pedestrian, perhaps the bus had mounted the pavement?

Considering the appalling standard of bus driving in London these days why
doesn't this surprise me in the least.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I walked past the site at lunchtime.
The most amazing thing is perhaps the number of policemen apparently
required to keep people/traffic away.

The road is wider than it looks in most of the news photos, and lined
with trees.

Picture 18 here is a good likeness:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...316580,00.html

Trees are just coming into leaf at the moment, and it's possible a
branch was weighed down sufficiently to become a hazard. Two
medium-sized branches seem to have been broken off.

It seems that the pedestrian was been crushed in a rather freak way by a
broken-off branch. The top corner of the bus is very badly caved in, and
I don't think one of the standard "bull bars" that are fitted to some
buses there would have been adequate protection for those inside.