Old May 20th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Bus hits tree

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:29:23 on
Tue, 20 May 2008, Zen83237 remarked:
As it hit a tree (when buses normally pass by unaffected), and
killed a pedestrian, perhaps the bus had mounted the pavement?

Considering the appalling standard of bus driving in London these
days why doesn't this surprise me in the least.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I walked past the site at
lunchtime. The most amazing thing is perhaps the number of policemen
apparently required to keep people/traffic away.

The road is wider than it looks in most of the news photos, and lined
with trees.

Picture 18 here is a good likeness:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...316580,00.html

Trees are just coming into leaf at the moment, and it's possible a
branch was weighed down sufficiently to become a hazard. Two
medium-sized branches seem to have been broken off.

It's notable that the damage to the bus looks worse at destination blind
level or just above than at the corner of the roof. Did you manage to see
the tree itself, which hasn't featured in any of the photos I've seen? If
so, did it appear to be overhanging the carriageway, especially where the
branches were torn off?
--
Richard J.