Old May 20th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Banglatown: calls to rename East End station

On May 20, 11:11*pm, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:
alex_t wrote:
Shoreditch High Street station will open as part of the East London
Line.
Tower Hamlets councillor Abdal Ullah said the new station should be
called "Banglatown" to reflect the strong Bangladeshi community.

The last I heard they wanted to give that name to Aldgate East (when someone
pointed out that "Brick Lane" would not be terribly accurate). I don't think
naming stations after ill defined areas is particularly useful when the main
purpose should be to indicate where the station is. I mean even the
Wikipedia entry for "Banglatown" is a redirect to Brick Lane.

Now if they were talking about the old Shoreditch station they may have a
stronger case.

I think that Brick Lane might have been reasonably useful as a name
because it is near where Brick Lane is located (as accurate as Euston
Square or Chancery Lane), but to name a station after people who are
assumed to live there has no precedent in London as far as I know.

Maybe Councillor Ullah is being bribed by a far-right group to make
ludicrous suggestions that will inevitably attract ridicule and racist
abuse?