Old May 21st 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Bus hits tree

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
22:17:01 on Tue, 20 May 2008, Richard J.
remarked:
Picture 18 here is a good likeness:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...316580,00.html

Trees are just coming into leaf at the moment, and it's possible a
branch was weighed down sufficiently to become a hazard. Two
medium-sized branches seem to have been broken off.

It's notable that the damage to the bus looks worse at destination
blind level or just above than at the corner of the roof. Did you
manage to see the tree itself, which hasn't featured in any of the
photos I've seen? If so, did it appear to be overhanging the
carriageway, especially where the branches were torn off?

You can see the tree clearly in picture 13, as well as the picture 18
I mentioned before. There are many similar trees at intervals all
along the street.

I think the tree in pictures 13 and 18 is the one beyond the tree that the
bus hit. The one in the photo is right next to the bus, whereas reports of
the driver struggling to control the vehicle and of the delay in noticing
the pedestrian under the tree suggest that the bus ran on for some distance
before stopping.
--
Richard J.