Old May 21st 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mitcham Eastfields

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 01:08:41AM -0700, Mr Thant wrote:
On 20 May, 03:16, "John Rowland"
I was there on Monday. I'm not sure why the footbridge, complete with a MIP
lift on each side, is there at all.

Think about when the barriers are most likely to be closed. Building
it without a footbridge would make whoever designed Shepherd's Bush
seem like a genius.

The barriers are most likely to be down when a train is very near the
station. By which time you will already be at the station if you have
any sense, so it's obviously not meant to help people catch their
trains :-)

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:22:15AM +0100, Paul Scott wrote:

If you go back a couple of years to the high profile incident at Elsenham,
when two girls were killed at a LC between the ticket office and the train
they needed, I suspect all new stations with adjacent LCs will get
footbridges.

Yay, let's spend vast sums of money to protect the stupid from
themselves.

What is unusual here is that the footbridge is onto the down
platform and separated from the up platform due to the staggered layout,

Why not have the bridge go diagonally across the level crossing so that
it really does link the two platforms?

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

The Law of Daves: in any gathering of technical people, the
number of Daves will be greater than the number of women.