Old May 23rd 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:53:34AM -0700, Boltar wrote:
On May 21, 11:46 am, David Cantrell wrote:
Do you really think that Fortnum and Mason's desire (they were founded
quite a few decades ago) to have delivery lorries stop whenever they
damned well feel like is more important than having a bus lane outside
the shop?

Frankly yes. If its a street with shops that street only exists
because of those shops.

Wow.

And why pick on a posh shop like Fortnums?

Because few other shops have existed for decades.

Why
not use an example of a small shop owner who's already finding it hard
to make ends meet and now can't have deliveries at any sane time of
day just so a bus can save 30 seconds and get stuck in a queue 200
metres further down the road anyway?

Of course, the queue 200 yards further down the road is *also* caused by
someone parked in a bus lane so if they were properly policed that one
wouldn't be there either.

In any case, taking a typical bus journey (ie, mine, this morning, from
City Thameslink to Holborn station) I estimate it would have been *ten
minutes* quicker if not for ****s parked in bus lanes. Now, there were
maybe thirty people on my bus, so let's assume thirty people on each of
fifty buses held up. Of those 30, assume half were going to work.
Furthermore, assume that their time is worth, on average, 20 quid an
hour to their employers. That's 50 * 15 * 20 / 6 pounds wasted by ****s
parked in bus lanes. Or 2500 quid. Because of three delivery trucks.

The extra costs of having delivery drivers work at night and employing
someone at each of the three shops to take the deliveries would be a lot
less than 2500 quid.

Are you feeling bored? depressed? slowed down? Evil Scientists may
be manipulating the speed of light in your vicinity. Buy our patented
instructional video to find out how, and maybe YOU can stop THEM