Old May 24th 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default TfL £5Bn short for Crossrail

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 20:13:51 on

Now it's
optional (unless you're 'working,' whatever that might mean), but
very tedious to obtain. The odd thing is that, in my 30 years of
visiting the US (between once and seven times a year, always on
business), the immigration staff actually got friendlier after the
introduction of fingerprints and photos. These days, I actually
spend less time with the US immigration officer than 15-20 years ago.

Maybe that's because they believe they already have enough information
about you, whereas previously people arriving were virtually a clean
slate.

Yes, I'm sure that must be the explanation. Once the real-time finger
print scan has cleared, they stop bothering to ask me any more
questions. Presumably the computer tells them that I'm a fairly regular
(but not too frequent) visitor who doesn't overstay or commit any
crimes, so they just smile and welcome me. Before finger print system, I
had to answer at least a couple of questions.

Of course, South Africa is now even more relaxed -- no visa required, no
forms to fill in, no questions asked, no finger prints or pics. As a
British citizen, it's now quicker to clear arrivals in Jo'burg than in
London.