Old May 25th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
TimB TimB is offline

Default TfL £5Bn short for Crossrail

On May 25, 11:49 am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Martin Edwards" wrote in message

Recliner wrote:
Also, in the olden days (when I first visited the US, back in the
1970s), getting a US visa was fairly painless (and mandatory). Now
it's optional (unless you're 'working,' whatever that might mean),
but very tedious to obtain. The odd thing is that, in my 30 years
of visiting the US (between once and seven times a year, always on
business), the immigration staff actually got friendlier after the
introduction of fingerprints and photos. These days, I actually
spend less time with the US immigration officer than 15-20 years ago.

I had to get one back in 1977, but it was unlimited. I actually went
across the border at Laredo and back again.

I also had 'unlimited' visas in the old days, but it turns out they
weren't. My 10-year UK passport was extended (because of a strike in
the UK passport office), but when I next went to the US, the immigration
officer cancelled my visa as it was over ten years old. Apparently
'unlimited' visas actually lasted ten years. I don't know if they still
do that.

That's interesting - I thought the deal used to be that if you had a
new passport you could also bring the old one with the unlimited visa
and it'd be accepted.
Tim