Old May 28th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Operating Incident at Liverpool Street

"Neill" wrote in message
On May 28, 10:30 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the
security guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html!

Does the bridge sit on existing pillars or are they new?

Four new reinforced concrete pillars, two each side of the cutting as shown
in Richard's picture linked above. Although it seems fairly close above the
cutting walls when you go through on a train, the walls have all been capped
off, and the new bridge is somewhat above the new top level. All the
intermediate pillars between the GEML tracks were removed durng the
Christmas/New Year blockade.

Paul