Old June 1st 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster validators at Wembley Central and Paddington

On May 26, 10:25*am, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 May, 10:11, wrote:

I took the Hammersmith & City to Paddington earlier this week, the first
time that I have done so in a long time. I tapped my Oyster out, using one
of the validators at platform level, despite having read previous posts that
there are now new gates at the entrance. My card let me out at the gates,
but I am wondering if I am due to be fined £5 for an unresolved journey.

No, in general you can touch as many standalone validators as you like
without it affecting your fare, although I'm sure there are exceptions
(Stratford, possibly)

When you first posted this it planted a seed in my mind that has been
niggling away since.

Does it really mean that if you touch at Mudchute, then touch again
while changing at both Canary Wharf and Poplar (having accidentally
got on one of those 20-minute frequency services from Lewisham to
Canary Wharf) and touch again at Limehouse when exiting the system, it
calculates one journey from Mudchute to Limehouse rather than one
journey from Mudchute to Canary Wharf plus a separate journey from
Poplar to Limehouse?

(Or if you only touched at Poplar on the way, doesn't charge for an
unresolved journey starting from Limehouse?)

If that's right, which seems fair enough, then it could effectively
prohibit anyone from starting a second journey for up to 1 hour and 59
minutes (if a minute is the shortest hop you can do).

So here's a new scenario. You touch at Mudchute and travel on the DLR
to West India Quay and touch again ("out").

You then spend one and a half hours at the Wetherspoons before
wandering over to Westferry (given the engineering work) and touching
"in" with the intention of going shopping in Oxford Street or
whatever.

Depending on your speed of walking to Westferry, you have then got
only a few minutes to complete your journey from Westferry to Oxford
Circus if you want to avoid being charged £4 when you try to exit
there (because it's going to assume that you did a single journey from
Mudchute to Westferry).