Old June 2nd 08, 04:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default New Cross Gate Query

On 2 Jun, 17:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:
I see in this week's Railway Herald, a picture of the 'abandoned ELL
terminus platform at New Cross Gate', supposedly to be redundant once the
ELL trains run down to West Croydon (&Crystal Palace).

I thought down trains were going to carry on using the original route but as
a through platform, and the junction was going to be south of the station?

The Railway Herald is wrong and you are right - you can deduce this
from the ground without even needing to look at any plans. A new
junction has already gone in on the down slow mainline south of NXG,
this can be seen from a train obviously but also the top deck of any
bus that traverses New Cross (the road) - the existing platform will
thus be reused.