Old June 2nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Brian Cooke Sacked!

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 2 Jun, 17:48, Chris wrote:
ON the spot, even though his term of office at London TravelWatch was
up in September...his support for Boris, his undoing. What a pillock.

Fantastic, that's great news. I was waiting for the latest on this -
the London Assembly Transport Committee held an extraordinary meeting
this morning on this issue. Mr Cooke's completely inexcusable partisan
behaviour during the election campaign was a total disgrace.

The background to this can be found on the Committee's agenda papers
for today's meeting - in particular the the statement he released
offering support for Mr Johnson can be read in Appendix B here (PDF):
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/tr...n02/item06.pdf

His fig leaf of issuing said statement in a 'personal capacity' was
just that - he is supposed to be an independent impartial ombudsman,
and his actions completely invalidated that.

This will be a salutary lesson in how not to do things. What an
utterly stupid way to get the sack.

Not being a reader of the Standard and the various freesheets found in
London, was there much/any coverage of his comments at the time?

Clearly he issued them in press release style in the hope they'd be widely
published, are we to assume that he firmly believed his contract wouldn't be
renewed anyway?

Paul S