Old June 2nd 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Brian Cooke Sacked!

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:07:50 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On 2 Jun, 17:48, Chris wrote:
ON the spot, even though his term of office at London TravelWatch was
up in September...his support for Boris, his undoing. What a pillock.

Fantastic, that's great news. I was waiting for the latest on this -
the London Assembly Transport Committee held an extraordinary meeting
this morning on this issue. Mr Cooke's completely inexcusable partisan
behaviour during the election campaign was a total disgrace.

I agree that it's the right decision. His comments were completely
inappropriate for someone in his position and given the well understood
and publicised rules governing the Mayoral elections and "purdah".

The background to this can be found on the Committee's agenda papers
for today's meeting - in particular the the statement he released
offering support for Mr Johnson can be read in Appendix B here (PDF):
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/tr...n02/item06.pdf

A complete disgrace.

His fig leaf of issuing said statement in a 'personal capacity' was
just that - he is supposed to be an independent impartial ombudsman,
and his actions completely invalidated that.

*ding*

This will be a salutary lesson in how not to do things. What an
utterly stupid way to get the sack.

Yes but I do wonder if he didn't realise what the likely consequence
would be. I think he viewed his comments as ultimately more important
than retaining his post. In one sense he got what he wanted and who
knows what Boris said in their private discussions. Perhaps he'll become
assistant to Boris's "transport adviser" ex Nicholls (who single
handedly invented and delivered the Oyster card - hah!)?

--
Paul C