Old June 3rd 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Mitcham Eastfields Open

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:51:30 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:58:08 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

And is there anywhere else in Greater London which is similarly
deserving of a brand new railway station on an existing line?

I suppose under that criteria my vote would go for a Brixton station on
the South London Line (which will hopefully play host to ELLX trains to
& from Clapham Jn in years to come) - but that would be an incredibly
difficult and expensive station to build, unlike Eastfield's
quick-and-cheapish new modular station. Is there anywhere else
deserving that's like Eastfields in London - somewhere where the line
is running more or less flat on the ground, not high up on an
embankment or viaduct or low in a cutting or even in a tunnel - i.e.
any *realistic* suggestions?

Oh you've wrecked the criteria! I was going to suggest St Ann's Road /
Seven Sisters Road on the GOBLIN

What, all of 2000 feet from South Tottenham station?

Well yes. I'm sure a station used to exist here anyway and it's a big
catchment area which has no direct link to South Tottenham by bus. Yes
you can walk from the end of Seven Sisters Road but it just strikes me
as a very sensible location right at a crossroads with several frequent
bus services.

as well as Forest Road, Winchester Road and Chingford Hatch on the
Chingford - Liverpool St line. These extra stations would hugely
increase the catchment areas for these lines even though I recognise
they would slow overall journey times.

Chingford is currently eight stops from Liverpool Street (assuming that
trains skip Cambridge Heath and London Fields, which i think they still
do). Your stops would make it eleven. By comparison, Buckhurst Hill, the
station in the same zone on the Central line, is nine stops from Liverpool
Street, and Becontree, the first station in that zone on the District, is
13. Eleven seems alright really.

An interesting way of looking at it. Do people really count the number
of stops as some sort of quality measure of their rail journey or
commute?

I'm very much of the view that there are gaping holes on the Chingford
Line in terms of providing a convenient easy to use rail service. Trains
rattle back and forth every 15 mins conveniently not serving large areas
which are reliant on bus services that are often packed to capacity.
That just seems a nonsense to me when rail could easily provide
sufficient capacity for both local short journeys, railheading to
Walthamstow for the tube (and Overground if they ever build a link to
Queens Rd) as well as to Liverpool St for the traditional commute. I'd
prefer to convert it to tram style operation to give better acceleration
/ journey times and I'd also build the Coppermill Lane curve tomorrow
and provide a service to Stratford as a matter of urgency and reopen Lea
Bridge Station. All of this would give Waltham Forest a good, frequent
local rail service and allow some trimming of the bus network as people
transfer to rail. The only bit I struggle with is maintaining
sufficient capacity with a tram style vehicle for the commuter peaks
into Liverpool St - perhaps the Karlsruhe model offers some options?

Everyone's suggestions so far:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...d 28a8d72cb01

Including one from me!

And you comment about me suggesting St Ann's Rd!?!?!
--
Paul C