Old June 3rd 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Mitcham Eastfields Open

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Peter Masson wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 3 Jun, 19:25, Tom Anderson wrote:

Ah, now i think what needs doing here is an entirely new bit of line
building, from Dagenham Dock, via what will be the Thames Gateway
development area and Canning Town, into the City. It could perhaps be
a more sensible route for the Docklands branch of Crossrail - after
Isle of Dogs, i'd go Canning Town, City Airport, Gallions Reach,
Creekmouth, Barking Reach, Dagenham Dock, and on to Grays.

You could maybe build this as a branch of the DLR.

DLR are applying, under Transport & Works Act, for powers to build a line
from Gallions via the Barking Riverside Development Area to Dagenham Dock.

Those route-stealing *******S! That was MY hare-brained scheme!

http://developments.dlr.co.uk/pdf/ex...ham%20dock.pdf

Okay, so they're going south of where i would have. I assume there are
good engineering reasons for this, because it puts the stations in less
useful locations.

I really wish this wasn't going to be a DLR scheme, though. Surely it's
now painfully obvious that the DLR, while a wonderful local service and a
crucial step in getting Docklands going in the first place, is just not up
to the job of moving huge numbers of commuters? Making the DLR the public
transport backbone of London's flagship development area is planning to
fail.

tom

--
For me, thats just logic. OTOH, Spock went bananas several times using
logic. -- Pete, mfw