Old June 6th 08, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Large UXB in Bromley-by-Bow

In message
Mizter T wrote:

Rather than saying the bomb had started ticketing I suspect more
accurate way of describing it is to say that the fuse appeared to have
been armed / activated. I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert in
unexploded ordinance so whilst it did sound rather odd for all I know
the bomb was/is actually ticking. Contributions of those more
knowledgeable in these matters are of course welcome!

Assuming it had a delayed action fuse, these were often clockwork so it is
quite possible that the bomb did start ticking if the mechanism restarted
after being moved slightly.

Doubtless there will be a few more as the Olympic works continue. Some years
ago I was told by a bomb-disposal expert that something like 30% of the
munitions dropped and fired in WW2 didn't explode when expected.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.