Old June 9th 08, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Batman55 Batman55 is offline

Default Suburban travel - the reality

"MarkVarley - MVP" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:48:44 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote this gibberish:

MarkVarley - MVP wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 17:06:38 +0100, "Batman55"
wrote this gibberish:

Today I had to travel from Bromley South to Denmark Hill accompanied by
my
13yr old grandson, who expressed concerns about safety.

snip
Finally, as we pulled into Ravensbourne, there were 4 teenagers,
probably
15-17, with hoods of various types on the platform. They moved past my
window at the start of the rear carriage and I expected to hear them
get on.
A few moments later, there was a sudden shout from the rear of the
carriage:
"****, he's taken my bag". By the time I could see down the fairly full
carriage, they had all disappeared up the adjacent exit. The train then
proceeded to Bromley where I alighted and the female victim went to
report
her loss.

So, nothing happened to me, I wasn't threatened or harassed, I won't be
statistic but no, along with other passengers I didn't enjoy my trip!

MaxB

I've had a few journeys with people I felt a need to keep an eye on,
only had to act on anothers behalf once and 'discourage' people a
couple of times. that might be alot as I've only been in London for 2
years but I often travel late at night so maybe I meet more 'bad'
people than most.

goes with the territory I feel.

I once saw a couple of young ladies (20ish) being bothered by three
louts on the Northern Line. I was about to help said girls (how I don't
know, I'm past my sell by date) but before I got anywhere near them two
of the brave boys were on the floor & the third was vanishing through
the doors to the next carriage.
It turns out the girls were on there way home from their judo (or
similar) class.
The applause from the rest of the carriage was amazing.

Anyone who takes anyone at face value is in for a surprise, I know
several friends more than capable of 'looking after themselves' who
don't look like it, one comes to mind who is a petite and feminine
model I work with often, who has also been doing kung-fu her whole
life.

I've never seen anyone surprised the way you describe but, thankfully,
it must happen alot.
--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

In this case, clearly, people were taken totally by surprise - a mugging at
the quietest station in London on a quiet Sunday afternoon is not what was
expected. It was ironic to hear some prat on Today this morning explaining
how the little dears are misunderstood and "demonised", and some of them
even get locked up occasionally and this infringes their human rights! Oh
dear!

MaxB