Old June 9th 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Whitechapel ELL works

On 9 Jun, 16:14, Mizter T wrote:
* the temporary closure of the road bridge that takes Cope Street over
the line just south of Surrey Quays station to allow for some sort of
major works to take place there;
* and major works on the next bridge south that takes the Rotherhithe
New Road over the line, which has resulted in this two lane one-way
street being reduced to one lane - work has very recently switched
from one lane to the other though IIRC nearby signs advise that work
will be continuing on the bridge until sometime in 2009.

My guess is this is preparatory work for the grade separated junction
for phase 2, which will require the track towards Clapham Junction
branching from the southbound line and immediately going underneath
the northbound track, which will surely need to be raised up, hence
why the bridges need to be fiddled with. Haven't been to have a proper
look since I came to this conclusion, mind.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London