Old June 9th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

1506 wrote:
On Jun 9, 9:33 am, nessuno2001 wrote:
do you know how much was a ticket for the London underground in the
early '60s?

I found that a bus ticket for one stop was one and a half penny, and a
three-pence for about three or four stops in suburbs such as Edgware
or Stanmore. Is it right?

When I started work on Regent St in 1969 the Waterloo to Piccadilly
Circus fare was 3d. That would be just over 1p in currency or
USD0.02.

It cost twice as much to go from Waterloo to Oxford Circus, i.e. 6d of
2.5 new pence. That would be USD0.05 nowadays.

Soon after I started work there was a fare increase that doubled the
Waterloo to Piccadilly cost.

So that's 2.5p at a time when a postage stamp for a letter was about
the same.

Needless to say that I find the present day London fare to be
extortionate.

By the postage prices index we should be paying less than 50p for a
short hop. Hmm.

How much would it have been from Waterloo to Earl's Court? After all,
you can get that far for a minimum Z1 fare now.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as