Old June 9th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jamie Thompson Jamie  Thompson is offline

Default Whitechapel ELL works

On Jun 9, 9:34 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
John B wrote:
Anyone know what the major drilling, piling and concreting work is
that TfL are doing on the ELL platforms at Whitechapel station?

I'd thought that the only new work (aside from resignalling and re-
electrifying) taking place on the northern extension was west of
Vallance Road, with the line from Whitechapel to Vallance Road taking
the same route as before...

It's taking the same route, but the formation is being completely renewed in
concrete slab. See photo taken on 4 May 2008 athttp://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50178368.html.

By the way, the photo shows the cutting widening on the exit from the tunnel
north of Whitechapel, and it looks as if there must have been a branch to
the north (left of photo) as the route to Shoreditch curved west. Joe
Brown's London Railway Atlas shows what looks like a dead-end siding there.
Anyone know what it was for?

--
Richard J.

The wagon hoist to Bishopsgate on the alignment of the aborted
extension to Cambridge Heath?