Old June 10th 08, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Giovanni Drogo Giovanni Drogo is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

do you know how much was a ticket for the London underground in the
early '60s?

Not fully on-topic, but I remember pretty well that the price of the
first Milan Underground ticket (flat fare) in 1964 was 100 lire. This
was a huge difference with respect to normal bus and tram tickets
(single rides) which were 35 lire. And in fact one took the underground
only when strictly necessary ... I still remember taking a bus to school
from a place some 600 m from where I lived instead that 3 underground
stops (when raining, with good weather I walked).

In 1970 the prices were unified in the present "hourly tariff" (one
ticket for 60 minutes, as many changes as you like but only one trip on
the underground). Now it is one ticket for 75 minutes, and costs 1 euro.

In doing this, they were one of the few large organisations to be
completely transparent about decimalisation. Most took the opportunity
to introduce a hidden price increase,

We had a similar case with the introduction of the euro. Before that the
ticket costed 1500 lire. There were law disposition forbidding excessive
price increases with the transition lira-euro. Therefore ATM raised the
ticket from 1500 to 1900 lire on December 29. When two days later the
euro came, the "actual" increase was just from 1900 lire to 1936.27 lire
(1 euro).

is a newsreading account used by more persons to