Old June 10th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
John B John B is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On 10 Jun, 12:46, John B wrote:
So the 7s 6d fare from Northwood to South Ken in 1968 is worth GBP4.35
in 2006 based on RPI; GBP8.53 based on average earnings (because we're
paid twice as much now as we were then, after inflation); and GBP9.87
as a share of GDP (because capital gains have risen even more than
wages).

Apologies for self-follow-up - for the avoidance of doubt, the GBP9.87
figure and other references to GDP in the previous post are GDP *per
capita*. Measuring price changes as a % of absolute GDP would be
pretty meaningless...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org