Old November 24th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Ross Ross is offline

Default Number 8 bus

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:20:19 +0000, Kat wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:
In message , Paul Dredge
writes

[...]
and to answer another question, yes all the 8's Routemasters are based at
Bow and no they are not outstationed anywhere else

I see from your reply that the correct term is "outstationed"

No, not in the context you're thinking of.

Buses are "parked up" or "garaged", depending on operator. "Stabling"
is used in a bus context as well, I'm pretty sure, although despite
racking my brains I can't think of where...

"Outstations" are sub-depots, sometimes nothing more than the regular
driver's drive, where buses are parked overnight to start the service
the following day. Rural operators are more likely to outstation
buses, urban ones generally don't do so.

[...]
Also, I wondered who buys whole fleets of London buses when they are
replaced?

Now that the London companies are mostly owned by the big groups, the
answer to that one is often "nobody". What happens is they are
cascaded down to the provincial subsidiaries of the groups, allowing
them in turn to release vehicles to cascade to poorer subsidiaries -
or to sell to the scrapman as old junk, or to enthusiasts who may not
consider it to be old junk.

--
Ross Hamilton, in Lincoln (UK)
From address *will* bounce