Old June 11th 08, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
MIG MIG is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Jun 10, 10:26*pm, Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
* * * * * Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Jun, 19:53, Graeme Wall wrote:

In message
* * * * * Mizter T wrote:

On 10 Jun, 17:39, Graeme Wall wrote:

In message
* * * * * "sweller" wrote:

(snip)

How much, say, beer, bread or cheese would the 3d buy in 1969, compared
to the £1.50 fare today?

Beer reached 2/- a pint around 1969, in London at least. *So you could
get 1/8 of a pint for 3d. *£1.50 should get you a half now.

Waits for Northerners to die of shock at the price.

If you know where to go you can get yourself a pint for something like
£1.80. And it's not the establishment with faux-marble bar counters.

You can in Southampton as well, but not generally in Central London (bar
Weatherspoons).

May I merrily spread the good word of Samuel Smith's Brewery.

Please do :-)

The beer may all be brewed in Yorkshire but central London plays host to
many of Sam Smith's distinctively convivial hostelries - traditional pubs,
no music, decent fellow drinkers, a lovely pint, and minimal damage to your
wallet. 'Tis a winner. If it's your round, this is the place to buy it!

Slight warning if the round includes soft drinks. The beer price may
lead one to assume that everything is cheap, but they have hugely
racked up the soft drink prices in their London pubs. I don't think
this is the case in Yorkshire though.

I first came across Sam Smiths at a little pub in Shildon in 1975. *I still
have the branded tankard presented to me by the landlord to celebrate
drinking his pub dry. *ob railway, I was there for the S&D 150th as part of
the GWS sales team so I had plenty of assistance in the drinking.