Old June 11th 08, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
MIG MIG is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Jun 10, 8:14*am, Chris Tolley wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
BR went decimal a day earlier than the national D-day, so for the
price of an Oxford platform ticket (the last time I've ever bought
one) I had in my hand the change for a shilling of a 1p and a 2p coin
a day before most people could get hold of them.

Example coinage was on sale for a couple of years before it could be
spent. A plastic wallet labelled "Britain's First Decimal Coins". Anyone
could get a set.

Do you happen to know the provenance of a 1970 two-shilling (ie 10p
till 1992) coin I found in my change once?

Was there an equivalent "last non-decimal coins" set available that
included coins that weren't generally made and that someone
accidentally spent? (Given that they started using 10p coins for 2s
in 1968.)