Old June 12th 08, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:20:26 +0200 (CEST), Peter Campbell Smith
wrote:

(At the time, I was on a student union committee, and we pledged to convert
all our prices at the official conversion rate. We had a complaint that at
the old prices, one scoop of mashed potato was 4d and two scoops were 8d,
but applying official conversion rates, one scoop was now 1.5p and two
scoops were 3.5p.)

I'd always been told that student unions in the late 60s/early 70s
were hotbeds of radicalism, dedicated to overthrowing the bourgeoisie,
occupying university buildings, and probably providing affordable
public transport for all (desperate attempt to remain on-topic). So I
find Peter's revelation, that in fact they concerned themselves with
the price of mash, quite reassuring

Martin