Old June 14th 08, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
No Name

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"R.C. Payne" wrote

Until the 1960s it was not that unusual to get 19th century coins - with
Queen Victoria's head - usually pennies but very occasionally silver
coins.
Until the new small 5p came in shillings dating back to 1816 were legal
tender, though I don't think I ever saw George III, George IV, or William
III examples. There were also occasional press stories of silver groats
(4d - not Maundy examples) surfacing, being mistaken for silver 3d or
sixpences.

I think that this still happens today, though clearly not to the same
degree.

I got a shilling back in my change on one occasion, while on the other I got
a 2d coin from the Free State of Ireland.

A few years ago, when I visited Canada, I found a 1-cent coin with George
VI.

I also occasionally find coins from Crown Dependencies, such as Gibraltar or
the Isle of Man. Friends of mine have even found coins in their change from
as far as St. Helena and the Falkland Islands.