Old June 14th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
No Name

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
message m...

In the early sixties on a number 9 bus going to the Albert Hall a
passenger offered a coin to the conductor to pay her fare. The
conductor didn't like the look of it but I managed to catch sight of it
and exchanged it for another shilling. It was a rather clapped-out
George IV one from 1820. This was the oldest legal tender coin I've
ever seen in circulation.

Something similar happened to me on the Midland Metro. A woman was trying to
pay with a 2-pound coin from the 1980s, but the condutor rejected it. I also
offered current coins in exchange for that one.