Old June 14th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
No Name

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:33:01 +0100, "R.C. Payne"
wrote:

MIG wrote:

By the time decimalisation arrived much of the "silver" which really
was silver (50% to 1946, sterling silver to 1919) had disappeared into
back-street smelters due to the metal value exceeding the face value
of the coins. The same happened later to some extent with pennies and
halfpennies and later with decimal bronze coins (which are now plated
steel).

I did once find a 1938 2s in my change, but I think that the reason
why you hardly ever saw any dated before 1947 was that that was the
first year when there wasn't any silver content.

Same thing happened in the United States -- it is next to impossible to find
any coins from before 1964, because they had all previously contained
silver.