Old June 14th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"R.C. Payne" wrote

Until the 1960s it was not that unusual to get 19th century coins -
with Queen Victoria's head - usually pennies but very occasionally
silver coins. Until the new small 5p came in shillings dating back to
1816 were legal tender, though I don't think I ever saw George III,
George IV, or William III examples. There were also occasional press
stories of silver groats (4d - not Maundy examples) surfacing, being
mistaken for silver 3d or sixpences.

I think that this still happens today, though clearly not to the same
degree.

I got a shilling back in my change on one occasion, while on the other I got
a 2d coin from the Free State of Ireland.

A few years ago, when I visited Canada, I found a 1-cent coin with George
VI.

I also occasionally find coins from Crown Dependencies, such as
Gibraltar or the Isle of Man. Friends of mine have even found coins in
their change from as far as St. Helena and the Falkland Islands.

I have a bag in which i've been accumulating interesting coins for 15-20
years (ever since i had coins, basically!). It's mostly the special
designs of UK pounds, two pounds and 50ps, plus various coins from the
channel islands, Man and Gibraltar. The most interesting things are a St
Helena & Ascension pound, which is a fairly dull design with some birds on
it, a 1985 five shilling from Kenya, which looks enough like a 50p that i
didn't notice it in my handful of change, although it's a little heavier,
and the scowling visage of Daniel Arap Moi is hard to confuse with the
scowling visage of our own dear queen, and a 1996 Swazi one lilangeni,
similar in shape and material to a pound, which i - ObRailway - got in
change from a ticket machine at Paddington!

tom

--
Demolish serious culture!