Old June 14th 08, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
No Name

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Free Lunch" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:41:19 +0100, wrote in
misc.transport.urban-transit:

Wasn't the $20 gold piece smaller than the Liberty dollar? As I recall
gold is more dense than silver.

It's possible that it had a smllaer diameter, but not by that much. They
were used in general circulation, in any event, as were the silver dollar
coins.

The Eisenhower dollars of the 1970s were also quite big, and I believe
that
they were in general circulation.

They were the same size at the Liberty IIRC.

I think that you are right, based on my own recollections.

Like I said, however, they were quite large and in circulation.

It was when they introduced the Susan B. Anothony dollars that complications
started with dollar coins in the United States, IIRC, because their size
allowed them to be easily confused with a 25-cent coin. Would it not have
been easier to put shape on the coin's circumference, as many nations do?