Old June 15th 08, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
() wrote:

I have noticed lately that there appear to be much less coins 1-
and 2-pound coins, plus 50-pence coins with special reverses in
circulation. Is it becoming a trend for the general public to hoard
these coins?

Since all £1 coin reverses are "special" I'm not sure what you
mean there.

Some are more special than others!

Have a butcher's:

http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/dec1p.html

IME, the 1983 etc all-UK reverse is far and away the most common
one to come across. The mid-80s Scottish and Welsh are
level-pegging in second place. The NI flax flower design is rarer,
as is the English royal oak. The 1988 UK is really quite unusual to
see. The mid-90s national designs and the bridges are now also
pretty common - about the same as the 80s Scottish and Welsh, i'd
say. I have yet to see one of the new pounds in the wild .

The 1983 etc UK is sort of a 'standard' design, making all the
others 'special', but it's really the rarer ones that i'd consider
special enough to describe as special.

You're just calling a design special because of lower mintage quantities
in years they were current. In fact by that definition the same design
will be special and non-special because of fluctuations in mintage
between years.

--
Colin Rosenstiel