Old June 17th 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Greenwich Waterfront Transit - campaign against

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, James Farrar wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 06:47:16 +0100, Bearded
wrote:

A lot of people living here commute into Central London or Canary Wharf
- and many of us want to use the JLE from N Greenwich. Sadly, that
involves a local bus [244 or 380], then change to a high frequency
service such as 422 or 472 either at Plumstead Garage or Woolwich town
centre.

All these routes are packed in the rush hour, including lots of mums
with buggies who frequently ignore driver requests to fold - and trust
me, 3 or 4 buggies on a bus which is already at capacity ain't pretty.
Sometimes changing to the 422/472 means letting 2 or 3 full buses pass
before you can board.

The answer to our prayers is the Greenwich Waterfront Transit - with
dedicated busways or bus lanes linking N Greenwich / Charlton /
Woolwich / West Thamesmead and Thamesmead.

So the solution to packed buses is... packed buses. Great.

I think the plan is that the new buses will not be packed, due to being
more frequent, due to having dedicated routes.

Yes, a tram or railway would be better. But we won't see the money for
that any time soon.

tom

--
VTEC Just Kicked in, Yo!!