Old June 18th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
No Name

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"MIG" wrote in message

A few years ago I had got into the habit of chucking all my brown
money into a box.

I didn't know what to do with it till Sainsburys provided a machine to
count it and give you a receipt that you could take to the till for
the equivalent in sensible denominations (minus an outrageous 7%).

The problem was that I could barely pick up the money and had to put
it in a large rucksack to get it there. I got over £80 even with the
ripoff.

But it would require about 9 million people to do something similar to
add up to the three quarters of a (presumably American) billion
suggested. I am not one of them any more.

***

Is it not possible to take the money to bank, particularly where one might
have an account, rather than to go through one of those counting machines?