Old November 24th 03, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robert Woolley Robert Woolley is offline

Default Route 73 to be converted to Bendi Bus

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:07:35 -0000, "Billy"
wrote:

[snip]
Rob Wooley`s previous post re planned increases in Rev Pro resources
confirms how wrong TfL have got this one.
Once the Revenue Collection system is compromised in the Travelling Public`s
eye it then becomes far more difficult to re-impose the required degree of
compliance.

At present many conductors don't bother to come upstairs.

Fare collection - what's that then?

On my two most recent visits to Londres I witnessed intending pax being
waved through on both an RV 1 and on a 527 because thay proffessed to having
some form of difficulty with the Off Bus ticketing machines.

On any new fare collection arrangement you have to 'nurse' it in.
Other posters here have commented that revenue blitzes on artics have
kicked in _after_ the route has gone live. When cashless operation
comes in, then nursing is the order of the day

Now it is not these individual pax concerned that TfL need be concerned
about but the many other pax already on the buses concerned who were a
receptive audience indeed to a short play about Free Travel......

[snip]
I am aware of some discussions in which many ambulatory but infirm folks
remain resolutely in favour of the Routemaster TPO especially in its
refurbished guise with DipTAC Stanchions and Brighter Interior lighting.....

Except mums with pushchairs. And people who can't climb the steps to
the lower saloon. Many of the complaints regarding double deck
low-floor buses related to the early vehicles which had little seating
in the low-floor area.

Not surprising as the first buses were DAF chassis which weren't
designed as low-floors but had been bodged to get a low-floor spec.

I am not an Anorak in this matter,as I am well aware of areas where the
Routemaster does fall short of modern practice BUT the Standard of service
capabable of being performed by the Refurbished vehicles remains on or above
par with even the most modern LFDD designs.
I remain unconvinced by attractive PR packaged "Spin" which attempts to sell
us bottles of coloured smoke and I feel that Routemaster operation utilising
the Latest Spec Refurbished vehicles is well within the capabilities of a
well managed and inventive Customer-Centred operation.....?????

They certainly are. However:

a) Continuing growth in passenger numbers means that RMs in many cases
aren't big enough. Hell, even an RML is too short to take a Cat D
driving test on.

b) Full DDA compliance is attractive - not just for moving wheelchair
users, but also for ambulant disabled people and those with
shopping/puschairs. Artics have full low-floors throughout.

c) What do you do with a conductor? With cash used by less than 20%
of passengers and falling they have little to do. They're not security
guards.

d) PR spin or not, passengers like artics. The quality of construction
of the Citaros is excellent. I just wish UK buses were as good - route
83 has received new LFDD - the buses have squeaky doors!

Rob.

--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk